Author + information
- Saed Alnaimat, MDa,∗ (, )
- Abdullahi Oseni, MDb,
- Ying Yang, MDa,
- Vinesh Melvani, MDc,
- Adam Aronson, MDc,
- Katherine Harris, MDa and
- Sidakpal Panaich, MDb
- aDepartment of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa
- bDivision of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa
- cDepartment of Dermatology, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa
- ↵∗Address for correspondence:
Dr. Saed Alnaimat, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Drive, SE 612 GH, Iowa City, Iowa 52242.
Scurvy is a disorder of vitamin C deficiency which leads to vascular fragility and multisystemic complications. The paper presents a case of scurvy resulting in cardiac tamponade in addition to its classic manifestations. Life-threatening tamponade is an extreme presentation of scurvy and has not been reported in modern publications to the best of the present authors’ knowledge. (Level of Difficulty: Beginner.)
The authors have reported that they have no relationships relevant to the contents of this paper to disclose.
- Received May 1, 2019.
- Revision received June 23, 2019.
- Accepted July 3, 2019.