Author + information
- Tardu Özkartal, MDa,b,∗ (, )
- Susanne A. Schlossbauer, MDa,
- Francesco Faletra, MDa and
- Giovanni Pedrazzini, MDa
- aFondazione Cardiocentro Ticino, Lugano, Switzerland
- bDepartment of Cardiology, Ospedale San Giovanni, Bellinzona, Switzerland
- ↵∗Address for correspondence:
Dr. Tardu Özkartal, Cardiology Department, EOC Ospedale San Giovanni. Via Ospedale 12, 6500 Bellinzona, Switzerland.
This report presents the case of pneumopericardium with trapped air in the pericardial sac occurring after a pericardiocentesis, probably caused by air leakage secondary to a defect in the drainage system and/or accidental removal of the pericardial tube. This condition is very rare and should be considered in case of hemodynamic worsening despite complete evacuation of the pericardial effusion, since immediate recognition and treatment are crucial. (Level of Difficulty: Intermediate.)
The authors have reported that they have no relationships relevant to the contents of this paper to disclose.
- Received April 15, 2019.
- Revision received May 28, 2019.
- Accepted June 5, 2019.
- 2019 The Authors