Author + information
- Received April 16, 2020
- Accepted April 17, 2020
- Published online July 15, 2020.
- Anum S. Minhas, MDa,b,∗ (, )DrAnumMinhas,
- Paul Scheel, MDa,
- Brian Garibaldi, MDc,
- Gigi Liu, MD, MSd,
- Maureen Horton, MDc,
- Mark Jennings, MD, MHSc,
- Steven R. Jones, MDa,
- Erin D. Michos, MD, MHSa,b and
- Allison G. Hays, MDa
- aDivision of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- bDepartment of Epidemiology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- cDivision of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- dDepartment of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- ↵∗Address for correspondence:
Dr. Anum S. Minhas, Division of Cardiology, Johns Hopkins University, 600 North Wolfe Street, Halsted 500, Baltimore, Maryland 21287.
A 58-year-old woman was admitted with symptoms of coronavirus disease-2019. She subsequently developed mixed shock, and an echocardiogram showed mid-distal left ventricular hypokinesis and apical ballooning, findings typical of stress, or takotsubo, cardiomyopathy. Over the next few days her left ventricular function improved, the further supporting the reversibility of acute stress cardiomyopathy. (Level of Difficulty: Beginner.)
Dr. Minhas has received support from National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (training grant T32HL007024); and has received a preeclampsia and prematurity grant from AMAG Pharmaceuticals. Dr. Jennings has consulted for Hill-Rom and Savara. All other authors have reported that they have no relationships relevant to the contents of this paper to disclose.
The authors attest they are in compliance with human studies committees and animal welfare regulations of the authors’ institutions and Food and Drug Administration guidelines, including patient consent where appropriate. For more information, visit the JACC: Case Reports author instructions page.
- Received April 16, 2020.
- Accepted April 17, 2020.
- 2020 The Authors