Author + information
- Received April 26, 2020
- Revision received May 4, 2020
- Accepted May 11, 2020
- Published online July 15, 2020.
- Juan Vilaro, MDa,∗ (, )
- Mohammad Al-Ani, MDa,
- Diana Gomez Manjarres, MDb,
- Jorge E. Lascano, MDb,
- Kartik Cherabuddi, MDc,
- Akram Y. Elgendy, MDa,
- Mark S. Bleiweiss, MDd,
- Alex M. Parker, MDa,
- Mustafa M. Ahmed, MDa and
- Juan M. Aranda Jr., MDa
- aDivision of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- bDivision of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- cDivision of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- dCongenital Heart Center, University of Florida Health Shands Children's Hospital, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- ↵∗Address for correspondence:
Dr. Juan Vilaro, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, 1329 SW 16th Street, P.O. Box 100288, Gainesville, Florida 32610.
A 50-year-old male presented with atrial flutter 25 days after heart and kidney transplantation. Rejection was excluded, but he developed severe COVID-19 infection with cardiac allograft dysfunction. Despite continued corticosteroid and tacrolimus therapy, he remained aviremic. Respiratory and myocardial functions recovered after a week of mechanical ventilation. The cardiomyopathy was stress induced. (Level of Difficulty: Advanced.)
Dr. Aranda is a consultant for Zoll LifeVest. All other authors have reported that they have no relationships relevant to the contents of this paper to disclose.
The authors attest they are in compliance with human studies committees and animal welfare regulations of the authors’ institutions and Food and Drug Administration guidelines, including patient consent where appropriate. For more information, visit the JACC: Case Reports author instructions page.
- Received April 26, 2020.
- Revision received May 4, 2020.
- Accepted May 11, 2020.
- 2020 The Authors